The Burien Environmental Science Center invites everyone to take a guided walk in the park while learning about the birds and plants that surround you, starting Saturday, October 23, 2021.
âThe two have grown together and play an important role in the health of local watersheds and in supporting our mental health,â ESC organizers said.
Here are more ESCs:
These small outings are aimed at 13 years old and over.
We will wear masks when we cannot ensure proper social distancing or indoors (we will open our building for the washrooms).
Take a guided walk through the park while learning about the birds and plants that surround you. The two have evolved together and play an important role in the health of local watersheds, as well as the mental health of individuals. Naturalists will share identification tips, species adaptations, and the importance of providing native habits.
Short bird counts will be taken each time to help people participate in community science projects and prepare for the Great Backyard Bird Count in February. No prior knowledge is required. Just showing where you see or hear a bird helps! We have binoculars to share, but we will also listen to birds by ear.
We will slowly venture through the park exploring the shoreline and forest of Seahurst Park. There are a few steep hills, but we will go at a slow pace along the wooded trail and gravel trail.
The free programs are sponsored by the Town of Burien to increase knowledge about native bird and plant habitats, stormwater management tools and to increase nature appreciation and community relationships.
- Naturalists will share identification tips, species adaptations, and the importance of providing native habits.
- Short bird counts will be held each time to help with community science projects and prepare for the Great Backyard Bird Count in February.
- No prior knowledge is required. Even pointing to where you see or hear a bird is helpful!
- We have a few binoculars to share, but we will also be bird watching.
Meet at ESC at the north end of Seahurst Park (map below):
- Follow the gravel path past the restrooms / playground.
- We are on the right before the Marine Tech Center.
- It may take 10 minutes or more to get to us, depending on the parking lot.
Registrations open 3 months before the event dates.
If full, email Kharli to be put on a waiting list: [emailÂ protected]
OR attend birding walks and classes at Seahurst Park with the South Sound Nature School. Learn more about SouthSoundNatureSchool.org.
More info here: https://envsciencecenter.org
WHAT: Bird and Plant Walks – NEW!
WHO: Small groups – 13 years and over
WHEN: Saturday October 23, January 15, March 19, 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
O: Seahurst Park